Monday, October 10, 2016

Explorations: Down in Splendour

  
Original video located here. Accessed 10th October 2016

Song title: Down in Splendour 

Artist: Straitjacket Fits

Year: 1990

Why I like this song:

Here's something I've been listening to recently: Early nineties New Zealand band Straitjacket Fits.

It is always fascinating to hear alternative music from the early-nineties/pre-Nirvana because much of it has since been forgotten. But hearing it now is hear a document from something that did exist - and still continues to exists even it got pushed aside. 

It is been a frequented observation that when a new sound comes along and/or someone becomes successful, one can expect a whole of soundalikes suddenly emerge. And upon hearing this, I kind of get the impression that is a bunch of Kiwis hearing the shoegaze movement n the U.K. and putting their own spin on it - although honestly it sounds more indebted to Ride than My Bloody Valentine. 

And it's that Antipodean take on a movement half a world away that makes this so compelling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment