Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Back to the Eighties: The One I love

   
Original video located here. Accessed 16th November 2016

Song title: The One I Love

Artist: R.E.M.

Year: 1987

Why I like this song:

Lately I've been listening to R.E.M.'s Document for the first time.
Historically, this was the endpoint of their Indie years. Among some die-hards, this is one of their best. 

Personally, this is an album that bridges the gap between their initial/Indie years (which I have only become acquainted with in adulthood) and their success years (which I have know of from a young age). And I can certainly see this album from that particular angle: The R.E.M. presented here is one that knew both here they had come from and where they were heading. 

But what does it matter? Document is superb and has certainly aged a lot better than other music of the era. Indeed, for an album released in the late eighties you wouldn't think it was listening to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment